About seven months ago, I wrote:
Well. We’re not there yet.
But it feels like our New Normal is close.
Can you feel it too?
And hopefully, it will be a New Normal that’s been needed for a good long time.
I believe in you. I believe in your heart, your determination, your strength, your power. And while that’s great, the thing I care the most about is that YOU believe in you.
The year is beginning to wrap up. This weekend there were celebrations of joy around the whole WORLD (which is pretty bananas when you stop to think about that. The whole world). And the phrase that keeps swirling around in my brain is:
NOW THE WORK BEGINS, BECAUSE NOW THE WORK CAN BEGIN.
Fighting for change is not easy. Working to implement change after fighting for it is a whole other kind of “challenging.”
Because no matter the change – in our relationships, in our body image, in our careers, in our self-worth, in our society – the real test comes when it’s time to build and then maintain what we’ve fought so long for.
The real test comes when it's time to build and then maintain what we've fought so long for. Click To Tweet
I’ve gotten caught in the trap of achievement-seeking before, and then totally botched the building and maintaining part. It feels productive and proactive in the moment to fight for a win but the real test is what you do with everything that comes after.
I know I don’t want to look back and just see dreams. I want to look back and see how I built them. I know I don’t want to look back and just see determination. I want to look back and see what I did with it, especially in the quiet moments when no one was watching.
I know it can be really overwhelming to begin to think about the “now-whats” of life, especially directly following mentally and emotionally tumultuous times. Definitely rest and recharge and practice the actual self-care that leads to relief and release.
And then after, consider visiting these thought starters to get your wheels turning about where to go from here. Because it’s clear our Old Normal wasn’t working, and it’s important we pivot instead of falling back into a way of life that wasn’t serving us:
- What have you learned you can do without? Why? And, what will you do about it in the future?
- What have you learned you CAN’T do without? Why? And, what will you do about it in the future?
- What have you realized doesn’t matter all that much? Why? And, what will you do about it in the future?
- What have you realized DOES matter a great deal? Why? And, what will you do about it in the future?
- What are you most excited about right now when you look toward the future? Why? And, what will you do about it?
- What have you fought for this year? Why? And, what will you do about it in the future?
- What will make this New Normal actually ✨NEW✨ for you? And, how will you make it happen yourself?
Let me know what you come up with in the comments. I’m always here.
Every batch of parents hopes their kids’ generation will “be the ones to change the world.” That’s all fine and feel-good. It’s important to keep hoping for better and better tomorrows.
Don’t wait for another generation to come around.
Be the change you were born to be.
I believe in you. And I hope you believe in you, too.